Wednesday 22 January 2014

The Verdict - 'I Am Number Four' = 58%

Easily Four-gotten

So, after finishing my college exams on Saturday, this week I've earned myself a little free time before the hard work starts again. Today I finally got around to clearing some space on my Sky+ Planner by deleting some of the movies I had recorded over the Christmas period.

Going out on a limb I decided to start with the 2011 movie 'I Am Number Four', recently shown on BBC Two, starring Alex Pettyfer (he of 'Magic Mike' fame, and the teen spy sensation Alex Rider in 'Stormbreaker' for those of my generation).


Whilst I wasn't wholly disappointed by the film I will admit that I hope the standard of movies I recorded will gradually rise after this one. The film markets itself as "teen sci-fi", I read on IMDb that it wanted to establish itself as a "Twilight for boys", which I though was a bit bizarre. Anyway, Pettyfer's titular 'Number Four' is part of a rare species with special powers who are hiding on Earth. He has fled his planet from the treacherous 'Mogadorians' who are wiping his kind out one by one. There are nine of them in total, our hero is number four, they're being hunted in order ... yep, you guessed his number is up!

They grow up so fast
The film's premise, adapted from a novel, is decent and for a relatively modest budget of $50m D.J. Caruso does a decent job with some commendable special effects. I also enjoyed Pettyfer's performance, in what is first starring role as an adult, he shows great potential. He does a good job of playing the archetypal teenager who just wants to fit in, and be allowed a little more freedom from his mentor Henri (Timothy Olyphant).

Maybe this is why the film didn't quite 'sizzle' for me because the formula feels a little overused. Young male hero who has lost both his parents, being looked after by an uncle-like mentor figure, trying to prove to the pretty girl he's normal all the while enduring the hazing from the local jocks. Without sounding a little harsh this film is basically Sam Raimi's 'Spider-Man' in a different context. 

Another "mishit" I felt were the villainous 'Mogadorians'. Considering the power to vanquish the universe rests in their hands, they never really feel threatening, and for me were almost a little "cartoonish".

Callan McAuliffe
The movie isn't all bad though; as I said it showcases Pettyfer's potential, other performances meet what's expected and there are some solid visual effects on display, notably in the last 20 minutes. Another of the movie's highlights is our hero's unlikely friend Sam (Callan McAuliffe) who introduces some comedy in his role as the "daring sidekick". But at the same time this is not a movie I would be quick to watch again. I didn't dislike the film but it never really thrilled me either. Instead of keeping me on the edge of my seat, I felt the ending could be sensed prematurely. And though it does leave plenty of doors open for a possible sequel, with three years since its release and no announcements made I doubt one is likely. Also I doubt if I'd be one of those in line to buy a ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment