Monday 27 January 2014

Cornetto Loses Its Flavour.

The World's End = 54%

So it's Saturday night - it's pouring with rain, you haven't made any plans, and you've got work early in the morning - What do you do? You seek one of the best cures to the halt the 'cabin fever' that quickly consumes you; you stick on a comedy movie and chill out with your family.

By picking 'The World's End', the climactic third act in director Edgar Wright's fabled 'Cornetto Trilogy', I would have put money on the trend continue and uncontrollable laughter filling our household. 'Shaun of the Dead' was fantastic, 'Hot Fuzz' was even better (in my opinion), surely with the third movie Wright along with series mainstays Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were going to up the ante. Sadly, no.

Edgar Wright
Maybe I was disappointed simply because I had built up such high expectation. With the first two installments Wright had a winning formula - a great scripts, and a wonderful British cast to deliver its sharp wit creating non-stop hilarity. For me 'Hot Fuzz' was a non-stop riot of side-splitting laughter, and that's trying to avoid using hyperbole. Comedy zigged and zagged for the whole 2 hours between Pegg and Frost, and its success caused Wright's directorial star to continues its rise up the cinematic ladder.

I thought where 'Hot Fuzz' left off, 'The World's End' would pick up the baton - Unfortunately I was wrong. Without sounding too harsh, it may just be me, the humour almost seemed to evaporate completely. I still can't quite put my finger on why, but often the movie even seemed dull to me. Admittedly it did make me laugh, but very sporadically, and never really in a 'laugh out loud' sense. At places I even found I was forcing myself to laugh, perhaps subconsciously trying to justify my purchase of the DVD for £14.99.

Yes, the cast is still brilliant. Pegg and Frost are fantastic, and their strong friendship off the screen is easily transformed into powerful comedic chemistry. I also appreciated Martin Freeman and Paddy Considine being raised to more effectual roles, but the movie did not do their comedic potential justice. Rosamund Pike and Eddie Marsan were also introduced as 'newcomers' to the trilogy but made no real impact and almost seemed to become bit-part players in a needlessly complicated story.


A good point about this movie is that is shows Wright's ability as a director, ability that will only grow in the coming years. What it lacks in laughs it somewhat makes up for in set-pieces, visual effects and fight-scene choreography. What's even more commendable is that Wright directed this picture on an estimated $28m budget, which is no mean feat! Something this movie has got me excited about is the Marvel studios' 'Ant-Man' due for release in 2015, with Wright in the director's chair. Obviously, Marvel are not an organisation known for doing things by halves and will undoubtedly give Wright a budget in excess of $100m, which is a truly mouth-watering prospect for comic-book fans across the globe!


Reading this review back maybe I will give 'The World's End' another look over, perhaps I've been too hasty. It is humorous, there are an abundance of cleverly orchestrated action sequences that are easy on the eye; and I just can't help but love its delightful cast. Nonetheless, when 'The World's End' could have rounded off 'The Cornetto Trilogy' with a legacy cementing swansong, it concludes on a bit of a bum note.

If I've annoyed you with this review, or you're having a bad day anyway, here's Jonah Hill and Leonardo DiCaprio continuing their blossoming romance to cheer you up!

No comments:

Post a Comment