Monday 16 December 2013

RIP Peter O'Toole 1932-2013

My first post begins on a bad note this morning as I discovered late last night that the great British actor Peter O'Toole has sadly passed away, aged 81. 

Although I'm a big film fan I haven't actually seen that many of O'Toole's movies but I remember watching him play King Henry II in the films 'Becket' and 'The Lion in Winter' in history class. He was a formidable presence on screen and brought intense energy and talent to this challenging role.

In a career spanning over 50 years O'Toole is known for several great roles, especially for his turn as T.E.
Lawrence in 'Lawrence of Arabia', which earned him his first of an unprecedented 8 Oscar nominations.  Surprisingly it's one of those films I've never actually seen. I realise it always places high on "Greatest Ever Movies" list so today I'm gonna give it a watch in memory of a great actor, and a man with a sparkling personality off screen also. 

I found a quote of his on the web earlier which I though was brilliant, it was after he turned down his honorary Oscar in 2003, when he declared he was "still in the game and might win the bugger outright" emphasising his fighting spirit and all-round charisma. I'll give you my verdict on the film a little later on but I'm convinced I won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment